Saturday 20 December 2014

BEHIND THE SCENES: "MY ONLY HOPE"!

Filming the classic scene between Leia and R2 on the Blockade Runner at Elstree - July 1976. Image: Ann Skinner.

The original 1976 version of Princess Leia's message for Obi-Wan Kenobi, from Ann Skinner's UK continuity script for STAR WARS:

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I fear my mission to return with you to Alderaan has failed. I have fed information vital to the survival of all free planets into the memory systems of this R-2 unit... my father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour... You must help me Obi Wan-Kenobi, you are my only hope."

From an earlier 3rd Draft Continuity Script of 15th March, 1976:

"Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi, I present myself in the name of the royal family of Alderaan, and the Alliance to restore the Republic. I break your solitude at the bidding of my father, Bail Antilles, Viceroy and Chairman of the Alderaan system. Years ago Commander you served the Republic in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to aid us again in our most desperate hours. He would have you join him on our home planet Alderaan. You must go to him! I regret I am unable to present my father's request to you in person... my mission to return with you has failed, information vital to the survival of the Alliance has been placed in this droid... my father will know how to retrieve it. I plead with you to see this R-2 unite safely delivered to Alderaan. You must help  me, you are my last hope." 

Skinners' advance pre-filming character notes for LEIA ORGANA, from 1976

"Sc(ene).4: puts information into R2, 16 years old. Member of the ALDERAAN SENATE, Sc.42: Her father once the ruler of Alderaan"

A wealth of Ann Skinner's rare polaroid images behind the scenes of the original STAR WARS, alongside sections of her continuity script, are currently on display at London's British Film Institute, until 4th January, 2015.

On the set of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope | BFI

No comments: